[This is an article about one of two protagonists from Part 1. Click here for the article on the Wilson Tower guard]
Brian Small is the main protagonist of The Southpaw. As a child, he is naive and is easily persuaded, but is loyal to his friends and family. As he grows to have a family, he becomes a responsible adult with an understanding of both sides of the central conflict.
After Jack infected almost the entire population of his hometown, Brian hid in the back of a local bookstore. He was soon found by Jack, who was still sane enough to recognize his son, and was taken to a grocery store on the edge of town. There, he met Jeff, Kelly, Shahbaz, and Rhonda, who accepted him into their group.
- Kelly Leonard (indirectly caused)
- Pvt. Mulroney (accidentally, infected, indirectly caused)
- Janet Morgan (indirectly caused)
- Jeff (indirectly caused)
- Mary-Ann Wilson (indirectly caused)
- Ashley Wilson (indirectly caused)
- Will (indirectly caused)
- Duncan Shepherd (indirectly caused)
- The Omega
- Brian is afraid of heights, as confirmed by Jack and proven at the end of Part 1.
- By the end of the story, he is the only living male member of his family.
- He is the only human to kill an Alpha.
- He is the only main protagonist to survive the events of the book.